Hello, 2017! How is it already mid-January?! I’m still blogging for those who have been messaging me.. Apparently, I took some time off from HAMR, but that was unintentional. Mostly, it was due to the freezing temperatures we’ve been having the last month or so. It’s really hard to take off all my cozy layers and take photographs when I can see my breath. I’ve tried taking photographs inside, but the quality isn’t the same. Besides, I like discovering new places in the city that accent what I’m wearing; which in turn, forces me to go outside and enjoy the fresh air (when I can actually feel my face and fingers). It’s easy for me to hibernate in the winter because I like the comfort and warmth of being inside and the quiet that goes along with that.
For writing a blog and putting myself “out there”, I’m quite the reserved person. I like socializing, but I also like being alone. It’s also hard sometimes to write about very personal issues because I try to be a positive person and not let the “bad” stuff get to me, but sometimes stuff comes up and it’s hard to deal with publicly. That was another reason why I took some time off. 2016 started off on a great note, but I was glad to see it go by the time 2017 rolled in. Last year left me with a broken heart, but I’m a firm believer that if things are meant to be, they’ll be. Timing is definitely everything and apparently it wasn’t the time, but I will be okay!
I’m taking a new approach to life this year and so far I’ve been doing really well. I’m quite proud of myself, actually. It’s all about the way I think about things/people/situations/etc… and trying to not overreact. I feel happier and lighter than I did at the end of the last year. I’m not only taking care of myself physically but mentally, also. It’s important to have a healthy balance between those.
This year, I’m going to focus on 5 very simple steps that will hopefully make me feel better about myself because I didn’t make myself a priority last year.
- Gratitude Journal. Although I write my blog, it’s important to go a little old school and write in a journal. I’m also probably the only person who loves writing in cursive still. The twist is that I only write one thing that I was grateful for that day not like the diaries I used to keep when I was in elementary school. I actually really look forward to writing at the end of the day (or the next morning).
- Read. My goal this year is to read at least 12 books. It’s definitely ironic because I’m a reading specialist, but my focus is on “adult” books rather than young adult books. I’ve already read one book and I feel so good about it. For Christmas, I ordered myself some books that were on my wish list. I love getting lost in a story and I’m happy that I’m going to be reading more this year. I think I’ll even blog about the books I read because who doesn’t love sharing book titles?! You might get a kick out of some of the books too.
- Water. This seems silly, but I need to drink more water (especially in the winter months). I’ve started putting lemons in my water bottle at work to make it more appealing and I’ve definitely tricked myself into drinking more. What other fruits should I infuse my water with so I don’t get sick of lemons? The only downfall is that I have to go to the bathroom more. As a teacher, I’ve trained my body to be on a schedule because you can’t just leave in the middle of a class; therefore, this has been a bit challenging, but I’m hoping my body will get used to it.
- Explore More. I LOVE traveling and exploring new places. My goal this year is to explore more whether it’s local or somewhere in the world. It truly makes me happy learning about new cultures, places, and people. Memories last longer than sweaters and I’m really investing more of my efforts into traveling. I’ve put myself on a tight budget to help me achieve this step because it is very important to me. I can’t wait to share photos next week from my adventures in Canada. Oh, that was another reason I took a break from HAMR because I became obsessed with Canada!!!
- Breathe. It’s simple. I need to remind myself that everything will be okay and not to worry about the small stuff.
I hope everybody’s year started off on a good note and I hope to share more of my self-discovery/priority experience with you all this year. Oh, and regular blog posts will now resume 🙂